We implemented improvements to the performance of the Client Module and your registration within Studio
Business Customer now has Cost Centre
Now, what's new? We start today's post with great news for Business customers of Studio: As of this update, the Cost ...
Now, what's new?
We start today's post with great news for Business customers of Studio: As of this update, the Cost Center is available when creating entries.
Previously, Business customers were able to create cost centres, but could not use it in financial entries in Studio. To maintain the completion of the user experience in this feature, we now allow this linkage. But beware, financial reports related to cost centre information will remain available only for Corporate and Enterprise plans.
If you want to know more about the Cost Centre, you can check out this article.
- Corrected error in the refactoring request: We noticed that in some "Internal Approval" steps, it was not being displayed to users configured as approvers when a refactoring was requested and/or completed. Now, in addition to showing a check at the conclusion of the stage, we have also inserted the record of these actions in the audit.
- Corrected a problem with receiving notifications: Some users were not receiving notifications regarding updates in the Financial module. We have changed the redirection logic used when the user logs into the system to always check for daily alerts, regardless of how the user logs into the system (by entering the url of the browser or through a favorite URL), to ensure that they always receive this information.
- Correction on the report of Hours Worked by Project: The hours worked on the last day of the week were not being considered in the report of hours worked per project. We made a change in the final hour considered for the last day of the week in the report to 23:59:59 instead of 00:00:00 - as it was before, so that the hours worked on that day are also computed in the report.
- Corrected filter in the Employee Performance report: The "Responsible" filter had been wrongly named as "Attendance" in the Employee Performance report, due to another change made to fields of the same labe in other parts of the system. It was adjusted and the filter's nomenclature returned to the standard "Responsible".
Remember that, if you have any questions, you can contact our support team via chat or email firstname.lastname@example.org.