ion's “post to web form” integration enables you to post contact data in real-time to a Pardot Form Handler. This document provides step-by-step instructions to integrate data collected from your ion experiences with Pardot.
Before we begin
There are few items you'll need to roundup from Pardot prior to setting up the integration.
- Create Pardot Form Handler that includes all data ion will export to Pardot
- Endpoint URL of Pardot Form Handler
- Please check out the Pardot support post linked here for assistance in creating the Form Handler
- Pardot external field names can follow any naming convention you choose
- ion's Field Mapping will correlate ion fields to the external field names in Pardot
- You'll want to have the Pardot external field names available when setting up this integration
There are a few steps to take in the ion platform before setting up the integration, listed below:
- Create data collection fields
- Create ion form(s)
- Set-up testing creative
Let's get started!
1. Create field mapping
Taking the steps below will map your ion data collection fields to their corresponding Pardot external field names. To get started, add your new field mapping:
- Click the Integrations tab in your ion console’s left side nav
- Click green “New field mapping” button
- Label the field mapping and optionally add a description
- From the Integration type menu, select “Post to Web Form”
2. Add Outbound fields to field mapping
Outbound fields define the data you extend from ion to the Pardot form handler.
- Click the green “New outbound field” button to add a new field to your field mapping
- To add a form field, use the Data Collection drop-down menus to select the data field category then data collection field
- OR, to add an ion Core field, select from the Core Field drop-down menu
- OR, to export multiple ion fields to one external field, use the Mashup Field by plugging , etc. into the editor
- Optionally make your field required to run the integration
- Optionally add a default value
- Enter the external field name
- Repeat these steps for each field that should be included in the Field Mapping
- Skip inbound fields
3. Create integration
- Navigate back to Integrations screen
- Click into the Integrations tab
- Click green “New integration” button
- Enter label
- Optionally add a description
- Select the Field Mapping you’ve just created
- Paste your Pardot endpoint into the Form URL into the editor
- This is the “post to” or end point URL of your web form.
- Set maximum retries
- If there is a service interruption with the external platform, ion will retry the post on the top of the hour for as many retries as you indicate here.
- Skip special requirements
- Select POST as the method
- Optionally add Debug email address
- Email addresses specified here will receive an email each time the integration runs that displays the data posted and response received. This is feature typically only used for testing and troubleshooting.
- Skip Save Response As
- Skip Authentication requirements
- Click "Custom http headers"
- Type the word "Referer" into the first text box
- Enter a space into the second text box
4. Add integration to ion pages
The ion platform runs the integration based on rules you create. Rules can be added to any actionable item in your ion creative. Integration rules are typically run at the form-level, upon form submission, or on an assessment step. Follow the steps below to add the integration to your ion pages.
- Navigate into the creative
- Click on the form, button or link you seek to make the trigger to run your integration
- In Creative Studio, click on +rules
- Select the condition that needs to be met to run the integration
- “No conditions required” is typically used
- Select “Run integration” as the action
5. Test integration
To test your integration, use the testing creative you set up prior to beginning the integration steps. Please note, integrations do not run in Preview Mode so you'll want to open a URL for testing. The integration will run once you submit the ion form, or complete the action that runs the integration rule. If you’re on the debug email distribution list, you’ll receive an email that displays the data posted and response from the external server. You’ll also want to check that the data you submitted was received by Pardot.
Once you’ve completed these steps, your integration is ready for use. You can add the rule to run the integration on all applicable creatives. If you run into any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.